Application: as soon as possible
- Contract Type: fixed term contract, 6 months renewable
- Start Date: ASAP
- Workstation: Chambéry (France) with frequent displacements to Geneva
- Salary: To be discussed according to experience
- Schedule: 39h/week
Based mainly at the headquarters of the NGO, you will be in charge of proposing technical solutions meeting the needs expressed by our partners, establishing in collaboration with the project manager the project phasing/chronology and follow up with the partner throughout the development of the solution until delivery.
Your main tasks will be related to the proposal of GeoApps solutions (development of geographic applications that can include data collection in the field, visualization of data in BI form with a predominant cartographic aspect, editing of existing data, etc.). The needs and capacity of the partner to maintain the tool once developed must be taken into account.
In this context, your assignments are:
- Analysis and clarification of user requirements on BI or GIS web applications from a technical point of view, business analysis skills with experience in explaining technical solutions in easy terms of non-technical people are strong asset
- The design of the technical solution most adapted to the needs taking in consideration existing ones
- Writing the methodological proposal document clarifying the solution and the involvement for the partner (in terms of maintenance, resources, etc.)
- Clearly identify how quality control will be ensured, what type of testing the solution will be subjected to, what aspects need to be put in place to scale up
- Establishing the project timeline in collaboration with the project manager and / or technical manager
- Following up with the partner on technical aspects (milestones, adaptations of the tool according to the partner's needs) if applicable, else through the Project Manager
- Technology watch for future developments in BI and GIS
- Working and following closely with the technical team the development of the project
- Doing technical implementation, bugs corrections when needed
You will have to go to Geneva regularly and more travel periodically for short field missions. The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent in the context of emergency humanitarian organizations (late work, rush situation).
- Qualification: Master Degree or equivalent in web development or GIS / geography, computer science, or a related field, depending on position level
- Experience: 7 year in the development and implementation of GIS / WebGIS solutions
Knowledge and Experience
- You have a good knowledge of the wide range of GIS solutions: from mapping to server through web mapping and database management.
- Maintains a deep awareness of IT/GIS industry and business environment to understand risks and enable business innovation and growth.
- You are able to quickly understand partner needs in order to translate them into requirements and enjoy problem solving.
- You have strong relational capacities allowing you to interact with other services of the organization (technical, communication, management ...)
- You are curious but pragmatic, you have a very good written and oral communication in English and French.
- You are autonomous but enjoy team work.
- Strong Project Management skills with a deep understanding of their assigned business area, including business processes, challenges, information flows and supporting GIS/related IT systems.
- Identifying key drivers of a defined, straightforward problem and proposing solutions
- Self-initiative, ability to balance short-term technical choices with a long-term vision of developments
- Ability to demonstrate a complement of skills that contribute to and lead the requirements gathering process and business process modeling for new Information Management projects within their assigned business function.
- Selects the most relevant tools/techniques to meet specific client requirements
- Autonomy and rigor: Strong sense of ownership of assigned tasks and will have a proven track record of delivery on commitment.
- Continually assess product quality and release readiness
- Ability to articulate reasons behind the design choices being made
- Performing database tuning and ETL performance related problems
- Ability to communicate on applications, technical modules and implementation details to different audiences: users, technical people and project managers
- Interest in humanitarian issues and understanding of the humanitarian work environment: rapidly changing needs and requiring responsiveness
- Familiar with agile methods and iterative development
- Demonstrates strong project management skills, facilitation & negotiation skills, relationship management and change management skills.
- Owning a work stream, reviewing, and directing and leading the work of more junior staff
- Experience participating in developer events (hackathon, hackfest, codefest, etc.)
- Experience integrating software solutions with other business systems including data warehousing, BI, CRM, ERP, and analytics platforms
Languages: Fluent in English and French a requirement.
- ESRI Product suite, QGIS
- SQL and NoSQL data stores, PostgreSQL/GIS
- Experience with DBMS technology such as SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, and Access
- UNIX, Java, Windows server
- Other languages : .NET, Java, C++, …
- Mobile development experience : IOS, Android
Applications: send resume and cover letter to info[at]cartong.org before January 31st, 2016