CartONG is participating, on behalf of the French Development Agency, to the scientific impact evaluation of the PRIQH2 project implemented by the Tunisian Rehabilitation and Urban Renovation Agency (ARRU). This evaluation is co-lead by the United Nations University and BJKA consulting. CartONG brings its expertise in GIS and spatial analysis of urban evolution to the table.
During the first of implementation (2019), CartONG implemented the following activities:
- We conducted 2 field missions in Tunis in January and June to meet the stakeholders, assess the needs for capacity building of ARRU, and work on the evaluation protocol with the rest of the team;
- We assessed the data available at ARRU and completed it: to do so, we started to vectorize in OSM all the neighborhoods of the PRIOH2 program (roads and buildings), with a detailed work on the 20 observed as part of the evaluation (adding land uses and vegetation). We defined a data model fitting the urban analysis requirements, and matching OSM. In 2019, we also encouraged ARRU to collect complementary data in the field. This work will be renewed after the rehabilitation works have been conducted to produce before/after maps and attempt to analyze the evolutions that have taken place.
- We started working with the ARRU team on an internal assessment of their capacities and needs on GIS and information management. This should lead to a workshop with various internal and external stakeholders in 2020, and subsequent training sessions.
For the second year (2020) of our involvement on this project we:
- Provided direct support to the implementation of the assessment using maps as a complementary approach to socio-economic analysis
- Helped ARRU’s teams build capacity in their use of GIS
To know more about this project, please check out our 2020 Annual Report.
Jan / 2019 to Dec / 2022
Agence Française de Développement