* Apply before: 15th of June 2022
This position is for you:
- If you are an experienced Product Owner or learned and get to this new area, looking for a new challenge and an opportunity to further advance your skills in a humanitarian sector
- If you are the appetite to lead different types of products using different technologies.
- If you have a GIS or an IT background and enjoy setting, prioritizing the work of the dream dev team in order to ensure impeccable features and functionality of the product.
- If you have a strong interest in understanding humanitarian and development organizations’ needs and constraints and delivering targeted quality solutions to field operations as well as headquarters.
- If you are passionate about collaborative and team work to bring the best technical solutions adapted to any given situation to solve key humanitarian challenges.
- If you enjoy discovering and testing new technologies and have a creative and resourceful mind.
- If you have strong interest and appetite for technical and challenging discussions regarding the various spectrum of GIS technologies
I. Presentation of the organization
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French "H2H" (Humanitarians to Humanitarians, i.e. an NGO working in support of other NGOs) non-governmental organization specialized in mapping and information management support for humanitarian and development organizations. Our core expertise is geographic information, but we have extended it other the years to other technologies (mobile data collection, information management, remote sensing, drones, participatory mapping, etc.).
We support international aid organizations, NGOs and public authorities by providing tools, services & trainings that allow them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs, therefore improving the impact of humanitarian aid in favor of the most vulnerable. We focus on training local staff and collaborating with local communities, in order to provide projects that are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular NGOs specialized emergency response and development as well as UN agencies; MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des Hommes, etc.: complete list here. CartONG is a fast growing & dynamic organization, gathering around 30 international staffs and 50 active volunteers.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry - a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
We are currently looking for a Product Owner for our Web-GIS projects with experience in the humanitarian sector to join our team.
- Contract Type: starting with fixed-term contract (CDD) for 8 months with a potential of making it permanent depending of the evolution of CartONG projects and if wished by both parties
- Start Date: ASAP
- Location: Chambéry (France)
- Salary: calculated with CartONG’s salary grid based on experience, 39 hours/week contract (35 h + 4 extra hours paid)
- Other benefits: additional health insurance covered 61% by employer & public transportation monthly pass covered at 50% by employer
Based mainly at the headquarters of the NGO, you will be part of the web development pole working for one of our main partner. Key responsibilities include communication and leadership, requirements gathering and analysis, translating needs to concrete ideas and potential activities, coordinating and supporting needs assessment.
You will play a key role for one of our main partner as well as in the webdevelopment team joining the other PO colleagues in CartONG. You will work on one main project, the development and the maintenance of a GIS platform and as minor projects, you will be the one setting, priorizing and following different and various webGIS projects for different humanitarian and development partners. In complex organization such as our main partner, organization’s adaptability, agility, and ability to manage constant change through innovation can be keys to success. You will be a key role between the technical team and the business analysis team when it will come to new projects, or new technologies to assess. You will support and make the process more efficiently and effectively.
In this context, your assignments are:
- Plan and prioritize product feature backlog and development for the product
- Define product vision, road-map and growth opportunities
- Assess value, develop cases, and prioritize stories, epics and themes to ensure work focuses on those with maximum value that are aligned with product strategy
- Provide backlog management, iteration planning, and elaboration of the user stories
- Work closely with Product Management to create and maintain a product backlog according to business value or ROI
- Lead the planning product release plans and set the expectation for delivery of new functionalities
- Provide an active role in mitigating impediments impacting successful team completion of Release/Sprint Goals
- Participate to tests before pushing to Production environment and perform non-regression tests
- Gather user requirements and feedbacks to guide further improvements and priorities
- Provide end users functional support
- Participate to the background tasks (documentation, etc.) and to quality control of products, to ensure functionalities developed is of the highest standards
- Take an active role in the web development pole activities
- Participate to activities supporting CartONG's associative mission whenever possible and relevant: exchanges with the Board and other members including during get-togethers and green days, involvement in internal trainings, support to volunteer projects, support to projects concerning the whole organization
- Contribute to events and workshops organized by CartONG such as the GeOnG forum
- Participate proactively to the association's communication by writing news, blog posts and other products, as well as representing CartONG during tech-oriented and/or humanitarian events and conferences
You will go to Geneva or other locations, and might travel regularly in Europe and periodically for short field missions. The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent in the context of emergency humanitarian organizations (late work, rush situations).
Qualification: Engineer Master’s Degree or equivalent in GIS or computer science
Experience: 3 to 5 years in GIS with min 1 year in similar position
Previous experience in the humanitarian and/or development sector (NGO, UN, etc.) will be considered an asset for this position.
- Professionnal Skills & Knowledge
- Good knowledge of the wide range of GIS solutions: from mapping to servers through web mapping and database management
- Ability to quickly understand partners’ needs in order to translate them into requirements and to enjoy finding the best technical solution, including benchmarking & testing
- Strong relational skills allowing you to interact with a wide range of actors and units within the partners’ organization (technical, communication, management, etc.)
- Aspiration to maintain a deep awareness of IT/GIS industry and business environment to understand risks and enable business innovation and growth
- Knowledge of Agile process and principles
- Other Skills
- Languages requirements: Good level in French and English required (min. B2)
- Excellent organization skills and autonomy: capacity to understand problems and take decisions, proven track record of delivery on commitment
- Ability to prioritize and estimating time
- Strong ability to work within a team, capacity to overcome challenges and find ways around constraints.
- Excellent initiative capacity and ability to balance short-term technical choices with a long-term vision of developments
- Quality-oriented personality with focus on permanent improvement of processes with an attention to details
- Ability to communicate on applications, technical modules and implementation details to different audiences: users, technical people and project managers
- Interest & understanding of the working context in the humanitarian and social sector: multicultural environment, sometimes working non-standard hours (evening or weekend activities), ever-changing environment with high constraints requiring a high level of adaptability
- Sharp analytical and problem-solving skills
- Creative thinker with a vision
- In accordance with CartONG's values (discover our Associative Project to learn more)
Applications (CV and letter of intent) to be submitted via online form by June 15th:
Please make sure to select the correct position title when submitting your application.
CartONG reserves the right to close the recruitment earlier if sufficient and satisfactory applications are received.