* Apply before: 14th of February 2021 (included)
This position is for you:
- If you are looking for working with a various and dynamic Webdev team and if you see an opportunity to further advance your skills in a humanitarian sector
- If you have the appetite to facilitate brainstorming, share your skills and knowledge’s on different types of subjects, challenges and different technologies.
- If you have a strong interest in understanding humanitarian and development organizations’ needs and constraints and delivering targeted quality solutions to field operations as well as headquarters.
- If you are passionate about collaborative and team work to bring the best technical solutions adapted to any given situation to solve key humanitarian challenges.
- If you enjoy discovering and testing new technologies and have a creative and resourceful mind.
I. Presentation of the organization
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French "H2H" (Humanitarians to Humanitarians, i.e. an NGO working in support of other NGOs) non-governmental organization specialized in mapping and information management support for humanitarian and development organizations. Our core expertise is geographic information, but we have extended it other the years to other technologies (mobile data collection, information management, remote sensing, drones, participatory mapping, etc.).
We support international aid organizations, NGOs and public authorities by providing tools, services & trainings that allow them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs, therefore improving the impact of humanitarian aid in favor of the most vulnerable. We focus on training local staff and collaborating with local communities, in order to provide projects that are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular NGOs specialized emergency response and development as well as UN agencies; MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des Hommes, etc.: complete list here. CartONG is a fast growing & dynamic organization, gathering around 30 international staffs and 50 active volunteers.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry - a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
We are currently looking for a Web Developer to join our team.
- Contract Type: starting with fixed-term contract (CDD) of 12 months with the objective of making it permanent if wished by both parties
- Start Date: ASAP
- Location: Chambéry (France)
- Salary: calculated with CartONG’s salary grid (https://cartong.org/cartong-salary-policy) based on experience, 39 hours/week contract (35h + 4 extra hours paid)
- Other benefits: additional health insurance & public transportation monthly pass covered at 50% by employer
Based mainly at the headquarters of the NGO, you will be sitting with the web development pole working for a variety of projects and partners. Key responsibilities include communication, supporting needs assessment, translating needs to concrete ideas and potential activities.
You will play a critical role within the web development projects in CartONG, assisting with choices of technologies, project planning and deliverables. Being part of the web development pole in CartONG will require you to be proactive in supporting the pole development, organizing internal or external trainings, experience sharing session in collaboration with the other web developers. In complex organization such as our main partner, organization’s adaptability, agility, and ability to manage constant change through innovation can be keys to success. You will be a key role within the technical team when it will come to new projects, or new technologies to assess. You will support and make the process more efficiently and effectively.
In this context, your assignments are:
- Analysis of user requirements on BI or GIS web applications from a technical point of view
- Following up with the partner on technical aspects if applicable
- Ability to discuss advanced technical topics with relevant stakeholders
- Be lead developer on some projects
- Develop and improve good practices.
- Doing technical implementation, bugs corrections when needed
- Write technical documentation.
- Technical support for different tasks
- Technology watch for future web developments
- Having the curiosity and advanced knowledge in IT/Web Development, desktop, mobile and server applications.
- Participate to activities supporting CartONG's associative mission whenever possible and relevant: exchanges with the Board and other members including during get-togethers and green days, involvement in internal trainings, support to volunteer projects, support to projects concerning the whole organization
- Contribute to events and workshops organized by CartONG such as the GeOnG forum
- Participate proactively to the association's communication by writing news, blog posts and other products, as well as representing CartONG during tech-oriented and/or humanitarian events and conferences
You might go to Geneva or other locations, and might travel punctually for short field missions. The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent in the context of emergency humanitarian organizations (late work, rush situations).
Qualification: Engineer Master’s Degree or equivalent in computer science
Experience: 2/5 year in the development and implementation of web development / WebGIS solutions
- Professional Skills & Knowledge
- Good experience on different front-end libraries to design advanced functionalities
- Quick understanding of partner needs in order to translate them into requirements and enjoy problem solving.
- Creative creation of web application without many side-support (web design support limited) and strong sense of ownership of assigned tasks and proven track record of delivery on commitment.
- Ability to balance short-term technical choices with a long-term vision of developments, and to justify design and technical choices
- Knowledge of Agile process and principles
- Soft Skills
- Languages requirements: Good level in French and English required (min. B2)
- Excellent organization skills and autonomy: capacity to understand problems and take decisions, proven track record of delivery on commitment, setting and following deliverables, prioritization of tasks, ability to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Strong ability to work within a team, capacity to overcome challenges and find ways around constraints.
- Quality-oriented personality with focus on permanent improvement of processes
- Ability to communicate on applications, technical modules and implementation details to different audiences: users, technical people and project managers
- Interest & understanding of the working context in the humanitarian and social sector: multicultural environment, sometimes working non-standard hours (evening or weekend activities), ever-changing environment with high constraints requiring a high level of adaptability
- Technical Skills
- MySQL / NoSQL DB
- OSM Technical knowledge an asset
Front-End Pre requisites
- Webmapping an asset
- Responsive design skills
- Modern software engineering practices (automated testing, continuous integration, Scrum/Kanban...).
- Optimize the architecture of a Front End application, improve performance and accessibility.
- Offline use: PWA / Native applications
Back-End Pre requisites
- REST / GraphQL API
- Server Scripting (Python or PHP or Node)
- Webserver (Apache/Nginx/Node)
Applications (CV and letter of intent) to be submitted via online form by January the 10th:
Please make sure to select the correct position title when submitting your application.
CartONG reserves the right to close the recruitment earlier if sufficient and satisfactory applications are received.